April 15, 2014

Jackson Graduates to a New Helmet


It is such a simple thing, to have your baby snuggled up under your chin.

As my five-month old Jackson slept in my arms, his cheek against my chest, I couldn't help but think that this was the first time he has slept on me like that since before his surgery at seven weeks old. 

I loved it. I relished in the knowledge that he could hear my heartbeat, that I could feel his hair and kiss his forehead as he slept peacefully.

I've missed it. 


He was on helmet break and after feeding him he had fallen asleep. So I gently lifted him up so I could snuggle with him.

It's not the same with the helmet on.

Speaking from experience, it's really, really hard to snuggle with a piece of plastic.

I was loathe to wake him up to put his helmet back on.

But, I also feel gratitude down to my toes that he is doing so remarkably well.



Three weeks ago we had a helmet check-up appointment. At this appointment they took new scans of his head.


Before Surgery                                                            After 2 1/2 months in the helmet


 Before Surgery                                                            After 2 1/2 months in the helmet

Remarkable, isn't it?

Here is another view.

Red line is before surgery, blue is after 2 1/2 months on the helmet.


This next one is comparing his head from after his first month.

So, red line is after one month in the helmet, blue is after 2 1/2 months.


Two weeks later, (last week) we went back down to pick up his new helmet and have a check-up with the surgeon.

At these appointments we received the news I was so hoping and praying for.

He is doing SO well that he will only have three more months in the helmet. Then we will go back for more head scans. After which he will get to be out of the helmet for one month. After that we go back for more scans. If at the end of that month his head shape is holding and everything is growing normally, he will get to stay out of the helmet permanently!

YEA! And YEA again!


We are having to re-adjust to this new helmet since it is a whole lot bigger than his last one and it shifts around a lot.

Which means his ears and cheeks get pocked and mushed a lot.

He doesn't care too much for that. 

Especially since this little guy is now rolling!



Quite a feat with that bulky thing if you ask me.


What a little blessing this guy is in our lives.

Thank you all again for the prayers offered in his behalf. And thank you to the wonderful surgeons who have taken such good care of both my cranio-babies.

4 super cool people speak:

Unknown said...

Lovely to see how well things are going. He has such a gorgeous little face, even with the helmet on his little smile shines out :)

Madame Coin said...

Woo-hoo! That is amazing.

I love the new header photo, by the way.

Emily

Mary Lou said...

Serene....
Jackson only has three more months in the helmet?! Thanks be to God!! ;-D
Love you later, Raelyn




Susan Anderson said...

What a blessing! Seriously. It's amazing.

=)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...